- The Seed Collectors – Scarlett Thomas. I’ve seen this in my local library, but I keep forgetting to borrow it because it’s not shelved in the SFF section. And, lord knows, I need to read everything by Scarlett Thomas. Everything.
- Bright Young Things – Scarlett Thomas. I’ve heard not-good things about this, but none of them sound like deal-breakers. Actually, the main criticism boiled down to “there’s no story!” which is the whole point of Thomas’ Our Tragic Universe, and that is my favourite book of the year so far. So.
- King Rat – China Mieville. Mieville is the other author whose books I MUST READ ALL of. I’m hoping King Rat is one of his sprawling Gothic novels, not one of his more experimental-but-joyless ones.
- This Census-Taker – China Mieville. Ditto.
- Shards of Honor – Lois McMaster Bujold. I will find it somewhere. One day. (The only one of the series my library has is Komarr, which – actually, the author recommends it as an entry point into the series. Huh.)
- Jhereg – Steven Brust. Or, in fact, any of the Vlad Taltos series apart from The Book of Taltos, which I do own. Because this is One of Those Series that you can read in any order. More or less.
- Changeless – Gail Carriger. Because I just finished the first Parasol Protectorate book, Soulless, and oh my it was so much fun, steampunk paranormal romance!
- Infidel – Kameron Hurley. I loved God’s War, but haven’t been able to find its sequel Infidel.
- The Neon Court – Kate Griffin. Another series that I’ve not caught up on and absolutely must.
- The Orphan’s Tales: In the Night Garden – Catherynne M. Valente. I’ve slowly been “collecting” Valente’s books, as and when I find them, which is not as often as I’d like it to be. But they’re always like lovely, unexpected little treasures in my reading year.
(The prompt for this post was suggested by the Broke and the Bookish’s weekly meme Top Ten Tuesday.)
2 thoughts on “Top Ten Books I Want to Read but Don’t Own (Yet)”
I’ve been meaning to read the seed collectors for quite some time too! Here’s hoping I get round to it soon.
LikeLiked by 1 person
So many books, so little time!
LikeLiked by 1 person